Monday, February 20, 2006

it doesn't look like much



Last saturday I took my first quilting class ever. It was a one day class about hand quilting. I looooooved it! The lady that taught the class was very charming in a southern-old-school kind of way. There were 8 students in the class, all women but only one was about my age (the others a bit older). The teacher and some of the students started talking about quilt shows and who's had the chance to go to one etc. etc. and I was going to contribute to the conversation and tell them about the incredibly and crazy beautiful and gorgeous (I run out of adjectives in my vocabulary to describe them) quilts from the Japanese quilt show that Be*mused went to, and all of a sudden all these ladies start bashing the 'modern quilts' or 'art quilts' as some of them called them, and how it was a pity that you hardly ever see those good old geometric designs and they went on and on... so I kept my mouth shut. I don't know much about quilting and it just recently peaked my interest but I seem to be attracted to both equally (strictly geometric and more free form ones).

That's a little picture of what I made. We joined two squares, and learned how to make and join the half square triangles and learned how to do the quilting itself. The very last part of the class (like the last 10 minutes) was spent on attaching the border and I was kind of bummed because that really seems like the hardest part. I have a little charm pack that I ordered from here, so I'm going to try to make a baby quilt out those patches... we'll see how it goes.

Comments:
I'm so impatient to see the rest of your quilt work !!! Did you received my last mail ??? Big hugs to you !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?